Posted in Evaluations

A debrief of the project

2 days before the deadline, everything is finished and I have a little time to reflect on what I have achieved this year.

My first ever post on this blog, this was written 8 months ago:


I read this and in reflection, i’ve definitely stepped far in the right direction but I do not feel completely ready for industry. This project has certainly helped fix a lot of weaknesses, but also exposed a lot too. I still struggle with scale, now as it is too late, I’d like to fix the grass texture so its smaller and thinner, but to do that would require a lighting-rebake and I don’t have time for that. My modelling is still strong and I love doing it, but with the scale I chose, I couldn’t focus as much on sculpting as i’d like. It’s my own fault and I should have learned, but nothing suffered too badly. I still made a lot of interesting assets, but a smaller scale would certainly have made everything look better.

I have made a list of things I will take on board for my next project, hopefully over the summer unless I get a nice job!

  • Next project, much smaller scale. Focus on one asset and make it amazing.
  • Don’t accept average assets, work a little longer to make them nicer.
  • Trees. Learn to do trees.
  • Create something a little more architectural next time for more variety.
  • Modular kits are incredibly useful.
  • Learn to use lighting more efficiently.
  • Spend more time texturing and making sure the maps are actually PBR in relatively to the lighting set up.
  • Create or download a character for checking scale more frequently.
  • Learn more techniques of creating good maps, and get better at sculpting them.

I’m certainly on my way to being industry ready and a 4 year course has taught me a lot, and i’m nearly there. Maybe an extra year, but i’ll get there. I just need to focus on my weaknesses and not forget my strengths.

As you can see, the narrative and overall project has changed dramatically, mostly due to experiences that inspired me leading up to december, and researching cool stuff that inspired me to build it. It definitely turned out more sci-fi than I had originally hoped, but with the narrative I have built, it’s understandable.

I also made the project a lot harder for myself by not using any specific reference or concept art, it all just came from imagination. I feel it came out well, but if next time I used a more direct source of inspiration the project would be a lot stronger.



2 thoughts on “A debrief of the project

  1. Hey there! I’ve been reading your weblog for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead
    and give you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the
    excellent job!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s